Take this staple side to the next level with a mix of spices and you won’t want to eat your mains without our turmeric rice ever again!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 40 min
2 tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups basmati rice
3 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1. Heat butter in a pot. Add garlic, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon. Fry over medium heat until the garlic has softened.
2. Add the dry rice. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 2 minutes to toast slightly.
3. Add chicken stock and bay leaf. Cover, increase the heat to high, and bring the stock to the boil. As soon as it reaches a full boil, reduce the heat to low. Cover and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Monitor the rice and add more water if needed to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
4. Turn off the heat, put the lid on the pot and let the rice rest for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork just before serving.
Recipe: Amerae Vercueil
Serve your turmeric rice with this pukka chicken yellow curry.
That,s All about South African Recipes.
- Muvhango 4 December 2019 Full Episode
- The Queen 4 December 2019 Full Episode
- Isidingo 2 December 2019 Full Episode
- Whole 30 Breakfast Burrito
- Make better homemade pasta with our tips
- STICKY RICE BALLS WITH PEANUTS
- CORNED BEEF SINIGANG
- BAKED SALMON WITH SWEET CHILI
- SUMAN SA IBOS RECIPE
- SPICY SOUTHWEST PUMPKIN SOUP